WANDA'S MOUND

Wanda's mound The mound rises in the vicinity of the wall surrounding the steelworks, on the highest point in the area. Its height is 14 meters and the diameter of the base is about 45 m. The mound was probably erected in the 8th century A.D. and is supposed to be the grave of the legendary princess Wanda, daughter of prince Krak. Neither the real reason for raising the mound nor its contents is known, as archaeological research has never been done here. However, such research was carried out on the Krakus Mound - another production of the same culture as the Wanda`s Mound. We owe our knowledge about the way of such objects were made to those archaeological excavations - the core of the construction was a pile fixed in a stone hillock around which, from bottom to the top, layers of wicker twigs were composed radially. Such technology bound the whole construction perfectly and did not allow for any erosion. It is due to this technology that the Wanda Mound is in much better condition than two other Cracow mounds - Kosciusko's and Pilsudski's - which require frequent maintenance. Apart from the legend, various reasons for creating the Mound there are suggested, including defensive, ritual and astronomical reasons. The latter suggests that the Wanda Mound together with the Kraku`s Mound are supposed to have been a part of a Celtic calendar system. One of the pagan traditions observed up to the 19th century at Pentecost were bonfires burnt on the Wanda`s Mound. On the 13th November 1890 a statue designed by renowned Polish artist ,Jan Matejko, depicting an eagle turning to the west ,was mounted on top of the Mound. On the base of the statue an inscription "WANDA" was carved together with two swords and a distaff. The statue has been recently renovated. The visit of the outstanding Polish poet , C.K. Norwid to the Mound in 1840 can be seen as a forerunner of Cracowian tourism (in a very loose sense ).His visit resulted in the poem "Wanda".